Saturday, February 14, 2009

A return to my first home

We had a company convention in Los Angeles recently and it's always a little interesting to return to my old stomping grounds. It was held at the Marriott Hotel just east of LAX which is in the community of Westchester, my home time. I haven't lived there for 38 years, but I know every street like the back of my hand from countless bike rides, paper routes, etc. Unlike the children of today, we rode our bikes everywhere--having your mom take you somewhere was for "little kids". Boy, have things changed! A lot of things have changed, of course, but Westchester remains a tidy community in a sprawling metropolis. As a person who loves the outdoors I love living in Utah, but I miss the beach and it seems I get cabin fever every year about this time. When visiting California I get excited twice--first, upon feeling the buzz of a big city, and second, when I see an open stretch of desert on the way out.


I now live in "Pond Town" (Salem) If I had had this little fishing hole nearby as a kid I would have been there every day.

No comments: